I made these vegan “chicken” nuggets the other day and they were great! This recipe makes around 20 so you’ll have enough to feed everyone or yourself for a couple of days! I have made these nuggets with 2 layers of bread crumbs and with only 1 layer. I think dipping twice is yummier but it is more work and they are still good only being dipped once. So you can decide what you prefer.
- 1 cup gluten flour (vital wheat gluten)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 (or more) cups bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp savoury yeast flakes (nutritional yeast)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 cups soy milk (or 1 if only dipping once)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Combine the flour, garlic and onion powders and salt in a bowl and whisk. Add the water and olive oil in a separate bowl and mix. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and knead until combined. Place on a large cutting board and knead for a minute or two. Let rest.
- Mix together bread crumbs, yeast flakes and spices. In a separate bowl mix together the soy milk and olive oil.
- Place foil over 2 baking trays and preheat oven to 200°C.
- Rip off a small portion of the dough (remember this makes around 20 pieces) and dip into the wet mixture, add to the dry and press into a nugget shape while getting the dry ingredients to stick. Set aside and continue with remaining dough.
- (Optional) re-dip the nuggets in the wet mix and once again into the dry getting more crumbs to stick. If dipping for a second time you may have to add more ingredients into the wet and dry bowls.
- Place nuggets on baking trays and cook for 20 – 30 minutes. You will need to flip the nuggets a few times or more to prevent the top layer of crumbs from burning. I cooked mine for 10 minutes each side and then again, 5 minutes for each side.
- Eat! YUM!
Note: If you don’t get through all 20 in one go, you can place in an airtight container and keep in the fridge up to a couple of days. If reheating in oven they take about 10 minutes, or 1-2 in a microwave.