These pies are great for guests as you can all have your own pie each! They’re very moist so don’t need the added vegan ice-cream, it does add an extra special something to the mix though! I use whatever apples are on hand and So Good Vanilla ice-cream. You can also freeze the pies to eat later.
Makes 4 individual Little Vegan Apple Pies.
4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
⅓ cup caster sugar
1 tbsp. lemon juice
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tbsp. cornflour
2 sheets shortcrust pastry, thawed
soy milk to brush the pastry (you could do without this)
vegan ice-cream if desired
- Place apple, caster sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and 2 tbsp. cold water in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes of until apple has softened.
- Combine cornflour and 1 tbsp. cold water in a small bowl. Add to apple mixture and bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Lightly grease 4 holes of a ¾ cup capacity muffin pan. Cut out your pastry (I use a 14cm round, serrated pie cutter for my base and an 8cm round ring for the top. But you can use anything you have so long as the base is around 12-14cm and the top 8-10cm).
- Line holes with larger pastry rounds. Fill with apple mixture. Brush edges with soy milk. Top with smaller pastry rounds. Brush with soy milk and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon.
- At this point you can either freeze the pies for later use or cook them up. The will freeze for up to 1 month.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Place muffin pan on a baking tray (I’ve never had any trouble with spillage myself but better safe than sorry) and bake for 45 minutes or until golden and heated through. Check at 30 mins to make sure it’s not getting too brown.
- Serve with vegan ice-cream & enjoy!