Recipe by Gina Fenech
Cooking Time: 25min
- ¼ cup red lentils (masoor dal)
- ¼ cup quinoa
- x1 15oz tin chickpeas or 1.5 cups cooked
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 mild green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 cups of spinach or kale
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger knob
- ¼ tsp black peppercorns or add black pepper later
- 2 cups water
- 1tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp raw sugar
- 2 tbsp cashews, chopped
- Pepper flakes, lemon juice, cashews for garnish
- Wash, drain, and keep ready the chickpeas, lentils and quinoa.
- In a pan add oil, onions and green chilli and cook on medium heat for 5 min. Add the spices and mix well and cook for 1 min.
- Meanwhile, blend the tomato, spinach, garlic, ginger, peppercorns with ½ cup of water and cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add to the pan and mix well. Add lentils, quinoa, chickpeas and mix. Add salt, sugar and 1.5 cups of water and cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir once in between, add cashew pieces and mix in, taste and adjust salt and spice. Add water if needed for soupier consistency.
- Cook for a few minutes.
- Serve hot topped with red pepper flakes, or cashews, cashew cream and bread roll or crackers.