This delicious pie is made with TVP, real gravy, mushrooms and peas. It’s the closest thing to a meat pie I’ve had since being Veg, only it’s healthier and really really yummy! This creation came about after making a Seiten and Gravy Pie (think Vegan Steak Pie) and my beautiful beau, Andi decided to try it with TVP instead so we made it together over the weekend, hence “Friendship Pie”.
This photo really doesn’t do it any justice at all but I was too busy fighting the urge to dig in to it to take a good photo. You’ll understand when you make it.
To Make Pie:
80g of TVP (about ⅓ of an average 250g bag)
1 vegan beef stock cube (Massel brand is vegan)
½ – ¾ cup of peas
¾ cup of mushrooms
Gravy (recipe below)
Pastry (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 200° C.
- In a bowl add the TVP, cover with hot water and mix in the vegan beef stock cube. Let sit for 5 – 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan heat a little oil and cook mushrooms and peas. Drain and add the TVP and mix together.
- Brush vegan margarine inside your pie dish to prevent sticking and roll out pastry. Place one sheet of pastry inside pie dish and add your filling. Pour gravy over the top and place second sheet of pastry over the top and press down sides. With a fork put a few holes in the top of your pie and pour a little oil or margarine over the pastry.
- Place pie in oven for 20 – 30 minutes or until golden brown. Keep checking. Enjoy!
To Make Gravy:
1 tbsp. vegan margarine (Nuttelex)
1 small onion
1 tbsp. plain flour
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. corn flour (corn starch)
1 vegetable stock cube
¾ cup water
1 tbsp. soy sauce
- In a small saucepan melt vegan margarine over medium heat and add plain flour and stir to make a roux. Add onion and garlic and stir.
- Add the vegetable stock cube and water, heat and stir until the stock is melted through. Add the corn flour and mix well. Don’t worry about lumps too much but mix as well as you can while bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and add soy sauce and nutritional yeast (as much as you like) and stir well.
- Using a hand mixer, mix to blend and remove lumps. Once smooth let sit until needed.
To Make Pastry:
You can use bought frozen sheets of Puff Pastry instead if you’re in a hurry but I do recommend making your own if you have time.
3 cups plain flour
1 and ½ tsp. sugar
pinch of salt
⅔ cup vegan margarine (I use Nuttelex)
½ cup cold water
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar and salt. Stir.
- Add the vegan margarine and mix on low with beaters until the mixture resembles course bread crumbs and the margarine has mixed evenly.
- Add the water and mix again until the mixture can be pressed together. Add a splash more water if needed.
- Push the dough together and lay out on a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for a minute and divide in half. Roll out dough into inch thick discs and cover both with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until needed.
Note: Can be stored in fridge for a week or frozen for 2 months.