Makes: 12 slices
2 sheets of short crust pastry (thawed)
⅓ cup sugar
pinch of salt
2 tbsp. cornflour (cornstarch)
1 ½ cups soy milk
1 tbsp. vegan margarine
2 tsp. vanilla essence
200g icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla essence
½ cup vegan choc chips
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease two baking trays with vegan margarine. Cut the pastry in to 12 even rectangles each and place on trays. Bake until sides are just turning golden. Place on cooling rack.
- In a small saucepan combine sugar, salt and cornflour. Over medium-high heat slowly whisk in the soy milk. Continue to whisk until mixture starts to boil, lower heat and keep whisking until thick. Remove from heat and whisk in margarine and vanilla. Transfer to a bowl and wait till both pastry and custard are cool, (the custard mixture will continue to thicken while cooling).
- Assemble the vanilla custard slices, about a dinner spoon full of custard for each slice.
- In a bowl combine icing sugar, vanilla essence and slowly mix in water until it’s a smooth, thick icing. Spread over slices.
- Melt the chocolate chips and drizzle lines over icing, using a skewer feather the tops, one at a time otherwise the chocolate may cool.